Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 23:18:55 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        esr@thyrsus.com
Cc:        Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Open Source Products

>That said, you've done the best job of anyone here of raising doubt
>about my pessimistic BSD-will-die scenario in my mind.  That figure of
>25,000 registered users is very encouraging.

   If we use the same yardsticks that Linux does to estimate installed base,
then FreeBSD would be on about 500,000 machines. No joke.
   Let me also say that, at least at WC CDROM, Linux sales have pretty much
stopped increasing, while FreeBSD sales continue to double every year. Based
purely on CDROM sales projections, FreeBSD will be caught up with Linux by
the year 2000.
   As someone else pointed out, we get a large number of new users as
converts from Linux. I'm happy to say that the converse is apparantly
not true. I for one believe that the war is with Windows/*, and not
between the Unix-like systems. Given a choice between Linux and Windows,
the choice is a simple one. There are plenty of reasons why I don't like
Linux myself, but I certainly have no desire for it to fail; the more
people it can keep from the clutches of Microsoft, the better.

-DG

David Greenman