Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 00:02:14 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kld and on demand device loading

In message <199812290652.WAA20403@implode.root.com> David Greenman writes:
>    The automatic on-demand driver loading has always been our goal with
> loadable modules. Unloading is more tricky and may be undesirable in
> certain circumstances. Memory is also cheap enough that unloading isn't
> a very high priority. ...not that I'd be anything less than enthusiastic
> to see it implemented, though.

For the short term, should I hack pccardd to automatically try to load
a module that it doesn't know about?  Or should there be a more
comprehensive plan in place before making such a quick hack?

It would be nice to have a fairly stockish kernel, and have modules
that I want to debug loaded and unloaded as I hack on them.  It would
be even nicer if they weren't part of the normal kernel, and that they
were loaded automatically when I inserted the card...

Warner

[DG's reply to this was "I don't think waiting is going to achieve any
 positive results, so I'd say go for it. Your work might provide the
 basis for something more general." -Mod.]