Date:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 11:27:09 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        dg@root.com, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Annoying debug-kernel config messages

On Saturday, 10 April 1999 at 18:45:54 -0700, David Greenman wrote:
> It appears that Matthew Dillon  wrote:
>>   I am getting wholely sick of this blasted config message.   If you are
>>   going to print the message, print it once and be done with it.  Not
>>   every time I config!  I'd get rid of the message entirely, in fact.

Sorry, I either haven't received this message yet, or I missed it by
accident.

I don't like the message either, but I'm surprised that you find it so
upsetting.

>>   Also, if you guys insist of making 'make' generate a debug kernel
>>   called 'kernel.debug' by default, at LEAST objcopy it to 'kernel'
>>   to generate the non-debug version during the main 'make'
>>   procedure rather then during the 'make install' procedure.  Not
>>   all of us use make install to install new kernels.

That's reasonable.  I'll do that.

>>   I've gone from having to cp/strip to having to objcopy.  My life is not
>>   made easier.
>>
>>   I don't mind generating both a debug and non-debug kernel by default.  But
>>   it must be done in the correct fashion.
>
>    I agree with Matt. Actually I really don't like the idea of building a
> debug kernel by default and would really prefer that we not do that.

I think we need to discuss this a little more.  We also need to have a
place to discuss this sort of change.  I discussed it at length in
-hackers, and nobody objected.  How about a "heads up" or a "proposed
change" mailing list to which nothing else should be posted?

Anyway, while I still think that the default debug kernel is the way
to go, I'll back out the changed defaults (and the messages) until
such time as we come to another agreement.

Greg