Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 01:02:41 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        bright@rush.net (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in, asmodai@wxs.nl, kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some thoughts on advocacy (was: Slashdot ftp.cdrom.com upgrade article)

> Although I must say that SCO's CEO's blatant flames against
> Linux & GNU look more like a desperate PR tactic, I hope he falls
> on his arrogant face.

I first met Doug Michaels in person, and had the opportunity to have
a long chat with him and Esther Dyson, back in 1988.  The three of
us talked for about four hours at the SCO Forum88, until the early
morning.  He is reasonable, level-headed, and personable.  Unlike
most of people I know, he also has Vision [the capital "V" is not a
typo].

I believe the so-called "flames" to be rational, well reasoned
arguments about why free software that comes from anything larger
than a small team working in isolation generally fails to be able
to do anything revolutionary, only evolutionary.

The statements about the state of SMP in Linux (which apply equally
well to the state of SMP in FreeBSD) relative to SVR4 are well
founded, from my experience as a former employee of the former USL
in the innards of a high granularity SMP kernel, and on general
architectural principles.

Volunteer projects attract "cowboys", not team players.  The larger
the project, the more balkanization into territories, and the sooner
the cowboys start plinking pot-shots at each other over rights to
the watering hole bordering their territories.  Occasionally, a range
war starts, and you get a schism.

Cathedrals are large public works; like the Apollo missions, they
require a disciplined group of individuals to build.  Such projects
can not tolerate even the spectre of schism.

Volunteer projects, by their nature, lack this discipline.  Volunteers
do not build mass transit systems, and volunteers do not build
superconducting suppercolliders.

SVR4 is a cathedral.  CORBA is a cathedral.  BSD 4.4 is a cathedral.
Linux and FreeBSD are *not* cathedrals.  As Doug pointed out in the
article referred to, there are merits to having a roadmap, a clearly
stated long term vision, and an organization capable of forcefully
executing that vision: only with these, can you build a cathedral.

It's not a cardinal sin to not build a cathedral; but when you are
not building a cathedral, and somone says "Hey, you're not building
a cathedral", it's unfair to characterize the bald statement of fact
as "blatant flames" or "a desperate PR tactic".  Instead, take the
statement at face value: as an observed truth; if you don't like what
it says about you personnally, or what you choose to spend your free
time on, then it's probably time for some introspection.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.