Date:      Mon, 03 May 1999 22:55:33 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   What does this error message mean?

In debugging some experimental code in the kernel, I started seeing
the following message, followed a little while later by a panic.

Data modified on freelist: word 2 of object 0xc059e260 size 20 previous type devbuf (0x80 != 0xdeadc0de)

My guess is that one of two things is happening.  Either I'm writing
to memory after I've free'd it, or I'm freeing something twice.  Is it
possible to tell from this message which one I'm doing?  Or am I all
wet and it really means something else?

Warner