Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 13:27:19 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        David Stein <dstein@mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggestion - List IRC resources

On Friday,  3 September 1999 at 14:22:34 -0400, David Stein wrote:
> I'd like to suggest that I haven't seen IRC listed as a resource for
> FreeBSD.  Currently there is at least two IRC channels on EFNET and I
> haven't looked at other servers.  Comparatively, there are tons of
> linux support channels, and the NetBSD IRC channel has more people
> than the two FreeBSD IRC channels.
>
> Its great to be able to go to an email list for help.  But sometimes
> its just as good to go to an IRC channel to chat and get a quick tip.
> But this only works if there are plenty of people there so you can
> get a couple of opinions and hopefully an expert or two who likes to
> hang out in chat.
>
> So I'd like to suggest that you include IRC as a possible resource
> (on the freebsd.org web site, and in "The Complete FreeBSD").  There
> are two channels I know of on EFNET: #freebsdhelp and #freebsdadmin.
> This would be a nice addition to the support network for FreeBSD, if
> there were more people there.

OK, I've hung out on some of the IRC lists for a while.  I still don't
like the idea of using them for support.  With mailing lists, you're
at the mercy of the people who have time to read the message in the
couple of days after it arrives.  The -questions list has rather under
1000 individuals on it, and often the replies are wrong.

By contrast, however, the chat lists usually only have a few people
active at any one time, and even they aren't all listening.  I just
checked #freebsdhelp: 12 people, none of whom I recognize as a FreeBSD
guru, and one of whom I recognize as an idiot.  If somebody does ask a
question there, I'd doubt they'd get a useful response.

Greg