Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 2020 10:03:09 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Peter Boosten <freebsd@boosten.org>
Subject:   Re: Technological advantages over Linux

On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 11:24:21 +0200, Peter Boosten <freebsd@boosten.org> =
wrote:

> Message: 14
> Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 11:24:21 +0200
> From: Peter Boosten <freebsd@boosten.org>
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: Technological advantages over Linux
>=20
> I love FreeBSD a lot, but the pkg system could be more intelligent, =
for instance I have a gitlab server: in linux, the binaries are updated =
and all necessary scripts are run to update the database as well.=20
>=20
> pkg stops after the binary upgrade and presents a webpage with all =
sort of manual stuff. This notice is lost if you upgrade a lot of =
packages

Are you running the "Omnibus" edition of GitLab under Linux?  If so, =
that's not using a standard package manager.  The Omnibus GitLab install =
uses Chef to do all the "manual" stuff needed to maintain GitLab beyond =
just the basic install (e.g., running database migrations, precompiling =
assets, etc.).

Chef runs on FreeBSD, but the GitLab folks don't make their Omnibus Chef =
recipes FreeBSD-aware.  (For the standard minor version GitLab upgrade, =
it would be straightforward to write a Salt state, an Ansible playbook, =
a Chef recipe, or even a shell script to perform those post-upgrade =
"manual" steps, as it is somewhat rote now.)

So, in the GitLab case, I would say it's more of a support advantage of =
Linux, not a technological advantage.

Cheers,

Paul.=