Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:56:33 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>, papowell@astart.com, nik@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

In message <200006271418.IAA04077@nomad.yogotech.com> Nate Williams writes:
: > : 	I'm surprised to hear this coming from you, actually. I disagree
: > : strongly that discouraging commercial vendors from being able to
: > : integrate "stock" parts of freebsd into their product is "not our
: > : problem." One of the drawing cards for freebsd is that commercial
: > : vendors _can_ take our code and use it in any manner they see fit. The
: > : list of exceptions is long enough already, I haven't seen a compelling
: > : reason to make it longer.
: >
: > I'd like to point out that FreeBSD isn't all Free.  Significant
: > portions of the tree are covered by licenses that require changes be
: > disclosed.  The compilers, binary utilities, awk, perl, and others
: > have this restriction.
:
: Ahh, but very few (if any) of them are needed in an embedded system.
: How many people are going to run 'grep' on an embedded system, or
: re-compile the source to the system?

There are many instances of awk and grep in the startup scripts :-(.

: > Likewise there are parts of the system that don't even come as source
: > (the fla driver is one example).  These are restrictions that people
: > must live with.
:
: Again, this isn't a problem in embedded systems, since you'd just go an
: avoid the driver in question.

Unless you have to deal with the fla device, which is common in
embedded systems.  Then it either works or it doesn't.

: > Second, the ARTISTIC license does not preclude FreeBSD from including
: > LPRng.  This statement is still true.  We can comply with all the
: > terms of the license.
:
: The ARTISTIC license isn't that much different from the GPL from a
: commercial entities POV.  For FreeBSD it is no different at all, since
: we ship with source.

Yes.  I hadn't realized that part of it last night.  I'm rethinking my
position on things.

: That's one of the main reasons I did the BSD thing when Linux was at
: 0.11.

Got me beat.  I waited until 0.98q or so until I made the jump to dual
boot and never did upgrade to 1.0 but instead reclaimed the disk
space.

Warner