Date:      Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:49:22 -0500
From:      Seth <seth@psychotic.aberrant.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Web page suggestion

This suggestion has probably been debated ad nauseum already, but I'd
like to make it anyway on the off chance that nobody's ever heard it
before :)

One of the hardest things for people new to FreeBSD to do is locate
the installation disks & instructions.  This sounds strange to those
of us who are familiar with the web site, but the images are three
clicks away from the main page, and the links are embedded in stuff
that the impatient would-be user won't want to read.  I can't tell
you the number of times I've pointed people to the freebsd.org web
site and then had to hand-hold them through locating the floppies and
imaging instructions.  More than once, I've heard "if it's this much
trouble to install, how hard is it going to be to USE?"

The argument can certainly be made that FreeBSD should discourage
those people who are too impatient to read the documentation, and
I might agree with this.  However, is there any reason NOT to have
an easy bulleted list, with the appropriate links, highlighted on the
main page, along with an indication of the curent release status and
the projected future release date(s)?

I'm not suggesting that the information isn't there already -- it is.
But the release information is completely separate from the downloads,
and it makes sense to me to have all that relevant information in
one place, highlighted for quick navigation.

Before I get flamed for speaking about something I've had little
involvement in to date, please know that I have been using (and
advocating) FreeBSD since 1995, and that I'm more than willing to
do a site mockup (thereby investing my own time in this suggestion)
if people are interested.  If it's not something that should go on
the main site, I can create my own & point newbies to it.

Comments appreciated (but please, no flames...  just tell me to go away
if nobody's interested).

Seth.