Date:      Sat, 13 Oct 2001 18:51:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-bug@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SSH broken in FBSD 4.4-STABLE!!

Dear Sirs.

Maybe you remember my several postings in the past, I found out some
strange things happening to sshd when migrating from FBSD 4.3 to 4.4.
Now I have results, and results I can reproduce!

But first I will explain the history.

In the early days, before FreeBSD went towards 4.4-RC2, sshd worked
perfectly on our systems. SSH is on all systems started in the normal,
recommended way by the /etc/rc.conf.local config file.
The first symptomes were that sshd stated after reboot or not, while
moving tighter towards 4.4-RELEASE and now to 4.4-STABLE, sshd never
started after rebooting, it always reports this error in thelog:

Oct 12 22:23:25 <auth.crit> klima sshd[289]: fatal: rsa_generate_private_key: key generation failed.

The only way to start sshd was to telnet to the appropriate host
and start the daemon manually. And this manual start does not produce any
problem! The I started sshd via rc.local - not problem. It seems, that
it depends on __when__ sshd starts in the rc-triggered startup process.

I administer at this moment a core of four servers around here:
three SMP machines, one UP machine. The failing start of sshd is
watched on two SMP machines - both systems has Pentium PIII Coppermines!
The other SMP system has two older PII CPUs. The UP machine is based
on an Athlon TBird 850.

Today I tryed to find out what the difference could be between the SMP
machined that fail, the one MP machine that fails not and the UP system.

Well, the ENABLE_SSE switch in the kernel causes the problems in conjunction
with a real SSE capable Intel PIII CPU! I have no chance to test this on
an PIII/SSE UP machine, but on both SMP machines using PIII and enabled
SSE switch in kernel sshd is not starting with the normal rc script, but it starts
the normal way if ENABLE_SSE is commented out! On the PII box, this switch has
no effect. This is the same on the UP machine.

ENABLE_SSE gives us several performance benefits (we use PGI and Lahey
Linux Fortran and they seem to run about several percent faster on boxes
with enabled SSE, doing scientific calculations) and I do not want to miss
it. It is curious that the starting order of sshd is depend whether sshd
starts or not. Maybe someone capable to do that should start sshd
later in rc.

Please, someone out there should test and confirm my experiences and
if it is not SSE specific (but I presume it's a fact), I have to look
for other problems within my configuartions (but this is logicaly
very unlikely ...). Could anyone test this with an PIII UP System?

Thank you for your help.

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)