Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 14:39:05 -0800
From:      Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Back from the dead (status report)

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 09:46:57AM -0800, Joe Kelsey wrote:
> I got the original solaris stuff working in one day.  There was a two

But it's incomplete, while mine fully compiles and is ready for the next
phase.

> character change required in one file to make it work.  The linux build
> environment is fundamentally broken and should be immediately
> abandoned.  Note that I am not suggesting that you abandon your code
> fixes, merely the build environment.  Anyone who knows makefiles will
> see the problem with the linux build environment and agree.

Well, that's incorrect since the Linux environment is the most similar to
FreeBSD because of the GCC compiler and the development tool chain. The
solaris build environment has a numerous tweeks that need to be dealt with
and it's a not a good track to follow because of this.

> Also, there has been no discussion of what exactly you are doing in the
> code base.  I, for one, believe that it is important to discuss design
> issues before plunging wildly into massive code changes.  No one knows
> what your design is and thus cannot offer advice or aid.

Uh, this is one of those cases where it's probably easier to code and
commit then it is to explain. Then some kind of draft will be available
for review. I'm not trying to be difficult as much as I'd like to keep
doing what I'm doing without external interference.

If you have a specific question about the code tree we can talk about
it on a more private list.

> /Joe

bill