Date:      Fri, 20 Jan 2017 21:08:26 +0100
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stop charging laptop battery when full

El día Friday, January 20, 2017 a las 01:53:50PM -0500, Sergei Akhmatdinov escribió:

> On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 18:11:25 +0100
> Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> wrote:
> > I can ask the current capacity (and other values) of the battery with:
> > [snip]
> > While charging, is there a way to stop the charging when
> > hw.acpi.battery.life reached 100 to protect the (LI-ion) battery?
>
> Such functionality should be provided by your battery's internal circuitry.
> Think about it, it wouldn't be safe for any consumer to buy a laptop which
> doesn't switch to DC power when the battery is full.

I'm not sure about this. Let's assume the power provided by the charger
it withdrawn "somehow" from the battery and the laptop runs only on the power
provided by the charger. The battery will now start to drain itself (due to
its internal resistor value). When it will start to charge again, and
how?

And why all the hints say: Once fully charged, disconnect the laptop
from charger?

Will it lead to some endless charge/discharge cycle?

I was asking for some method to disconnect the laptop completely from
the charger, either internally or, for example, by some external device,
receiving the signal via Wifi and cutting the charger from the outlet.

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/  ☎ +49-176-38902045
"Wo ist der antiimperialistische Schutzwall, wenn man ihn braucht? US-Panzertransport durch ex-DDR"