Date:      Sat, 13 Jun 1998 10:52:36 -0400
From:      "Peter D. Pawelek" <ppawel@axess.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is Linux leaving FreeBSD behind?

>On Wed, Jun 10, 1998 at 02:24:33PM -0500, John S. Dyson wrote:
>> Brett Glass said:
>> > It's certainly getting a lot of press. See
>> >
>> > http://209.167.41.132/products/announcement.htm
>> >
>> We can fret about it, or do something about it, with
>> our respective skills.  I do kernel stuff well, but
>> do not do PR well.  Those who see a problem, and
>> can do something about it, should feel free to
>> participate in the solution.
>>
>> All I know is that FreeBSD is not shrinking.

In fact, it's just grown by one...me.  :)

I've just jumped ship from Linux (Slackware user for 3 years) to FreeBSD
since I fear that the Linux 'community' is starting to balkanize (ie.
RedHat's largely divisive strategy of 'market' domination and
de-standardization) and will likely degenerate into a muddled anarchy
within a few years. I've also grown tired of the core of Linux users who
evangelize the gospel according to GNU.

I don't want to this to turn into some sort of advocacy flame thread, but I
did want to address the statement above that FreeBSD is indeed not
shrinking. More and more people like me are going to discover FreeBSD as a
more appealing alternative to Linux (ie. a more congenial, low key
community, a more stable OS, etc. etc.). I think a lot of (clueful) people
are going to discover FreeBSD by way of Linux by way of Win95/98.

I've been running 2.2.6 for three days now and I've already reaped some
serious benefits: Slack 3.4 wouldn't recognize my new 33.6 GVC modem, but
with FreeBSD I was able to instantly tell the kernel the correct address
and IRQ..now it works like a charm (I'm sure this is somehow possible under
Linux, but try finding out how...a Linux kernel config will just ask for
the COM port)! As well, setting up PPP was trivial under 2.2.6, and I've
noticed a DEFINITE improvement in stability in this area (under Linux,
Netscape would routinely hang in a very ugly manner...this hasn't happened
once under FreeBSD).

Anyway, I'm confident that FreeBSD's fortunes are on the rise and that's
why I've hitched on for the ride!  ;)

Peter Pawelek (ppawel@axess.com)