Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 1998 23:20:41 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Book Request

Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
>         between the ORA books and the addison-wesley swoosh series
>         i must have 20 odd books.
>
>         my wife always asks do you really need those? ;)

My computer book library dates back to the early 80's, and includes a
second printing of K&R (back when it was $17.75 at the college bookstore).
I had a complete set of the grey Atari ST books from Abacus, and a first
edition of the Xinu book.  I think I currently have over 250 volumes of
various computer books, most of which are uselessly out of date.  Sigh.

TCP/IP books, on the other hand, pretty much never go out of style.
How long has it been since the FTP protocol, or the sockets interface
for that matter, have changed?

I wish W. Richard Stevens would come back from the lecture circuit long
enought to put together a really good TCP/IP illustrated volume 4, and
cover HTTP, TLS, and many of the relatively new internet protocols; I
could have really used such a book this last year.

http://www.xmission.com/~softweyr                 softweyr@xmission.com