Date:      Wed, 06 Feb 2008 19:25:28 +0100
From:      Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
To:        navneet Upadhyay <navneet.upadhyay@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: script to be executed on system startup.

navneet Upadhyay wrote:
> Hi,
>       I have a script file, i want that script to be executed on system
> startup.
>
>  I am doing this on Linux in following two steps : -
>
> 1. Copying the script to /etc/rc.d directory.
> 2. /sbin/chkconfig --add "scriptname"
>

> I want to achieve the same on FreeBSD
>
> chckconfig file is not present, documentation says i have to add it to
> rc.conf file.
>
> How can i add it to rc.conf file, is there any command?

There have been a lot of suggestions here and the thread contains all the
valid information, but some people have given you deprecated advice. So I'll
try to clarify what can be done and how it's meant to be done.

1. Your own scripts belong int /usr/local/etc/rc.d, if you update your system
it will suggest to delete all custom scripts from /etc/rc.d, because it's only
for scripts from the base system. Remember that path will not be set when your
script is called at startup. The usual approach is to only use fully qualified
filenames.

2. All executable scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d are executed at startup and
given the parameter start. Upon shutdown the parameter stop is given. The name
of the script does not matter.

3. To this point you have all the functionality you asked for and there is no
need for you to look further. However you are at liberty to instead build a
compliant rc.d script, which brings you the advantages of controlling the
execute order by defining dependencies and being able to activate/deactivate
scripts and additional parameters in the file /etc/rc.conf.
If you wish to exploit these advanced features it's a good way to look at
existing scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d and read the rc(8) manual page.