Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 2013 20:22:17 +0000
From:      Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh@onetel.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with wireless router inaccessibility

On 10/11/2013 16:49, Warren Block wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Nov 2013, Thomas Mueller wrote:
>
>> I have a problem where I can no longer log in to my Netgear wireless
>> router from computer in living room, and computer in bedroom,
>> connected to the same router with a 25 ft Ethernet cable, can't
>> connect from any OS where it previously was successful (NetBSD-current
>> amd64 and Linux on System Rescue CD).
>>
>> I can still access the Internet and browse from FreeBSD on living-room
>> computer, but can't log in to the router.
>>
>> I'm afraid to reboot for fear that I could never regain Internet access.
>
> At worst, replacing the router should fix it.

Less worse, most routers have a pin-through-a-hole operated physical
switch which resets the unit to factory defaults - if you don't have the
original manual a web search will usually find the default username and
password to login. After resetting you can connect to the unit via
ethernet, from a machine whose ip address you set to the same network as
the unit's default ip address, then log in with default user/pass. You
will of course lose any custom settings like your SSID.

>> It's possible that rebooting could resolve the problem, but there is
>> the risk of not being able to get back in.

It could but if it doesn't you should be able to get in as above.

Chris