Date:      Tue, 4 Aug 2015 12:47:04 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal to fix postgresql package maintainance nightmare

--fu7G1elc6UkE6tOB96xtFie5q11koIUwd

On 04/08/2015 12:33, Kimmo Paasiala wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Michael Gr=C3=BCnewald <michipili@gmail=
=2Ecom> wrote:

>>> On 21 Jul 2015, at 11:46, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wrote=
:
>>> - Impossible to have tools from both old and new version at the same =
time (which
>>> is necessary to upgrade db and prepare upgrades of db) =E2=80=A6
>>
>> Could not jails be used to solve these issues by running the two (=E2=80=
=A6) required versions
>> in jailed environments?  There is a little bit of setup, but if by any=
 chance you
>> are using some variation of the immutable server pattern, it should st=
ay very low.

>=20
> You can't ask an average FreeBSD user who just wants to upgrade
> his/her PostgreSQL installation to set up jails that would be only
> used for one task. The upgrade should be achievable with just 'pkg
> upgrade' without any extra work.

It's unlikely that 'pkg upgrade' would ever grow the facility to
automatically do a fast binary update of the data directory from one
postgresql release to another one.

However, being able to install things in such a way that pg_upgrade(1)
could be used to do all that would be very much more useful than the
current 'dump databases ; upgrade packages ; reload databases' fandango.

	Cheers,

	Matthew