Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 23:55:59 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        grios@ddsecurity.com.br
Cc:        ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hardware

> So i cannot understand, take a closer look:
> http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1121,43,00.shtml
>
> May anyone here explain me this ?

As far as I can see, Seagate's specifications are somewhat conflicting,
or at the very least unclear. I'm looking at the "Performance" table from

http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/enterprise/tech/0,1131,43,00.shtml

Yes, it says "External (I/O) Transfer Rate (max) 80 MBytes/sec" - but this
is worthless since it obviously means transfer from the cache. The number
which is interesting is *sustained* transfer rate, at the outer and inner
part of the disk.

(Compare with "Internal Transfer Rate (max) 264 Mbits/sec" - you'd need an
internal transfer rate of more than 640 Mbits/s to get a sustained 80 MB/s
from the outer part of the disk.)

Even so, an *average* formatted transfer rate of 22.5 MB/s is rather good!