Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 22:50:38 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Branson Matheson <branson@longstreet.larc.nasa.gov>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD vs Linux

Branson Matheson wrote in message ID
<199605211831.OAA23964@longstreet.larc.nasa.gov>:
>  Humorous answers aside ;-) would it not be a good thing to put a
> comprehensive answer in the FAQ off of the web page? I think that it
> will solve lots repeated questions like " Linux vs. FreeBSD " and " I
> have blah foobar card.. will it run? ".
>
>  Mabey even a more direct route?

This was recently discussed on the freebsd-doc mailing list (should be
available in the archives ... my mail to the list was sent on friday
or saturday). Since the FAQ is an official document of the FreeBSD
Project, myself and others feel it would not be wise to make such
comparisons in an official publication of the Project. (If you look in
the archive, I gave detailed reasons, but basically is that if we make
such a comparison, someone, somewhere will take offense at it and
start slagging us off. There is no such thing as a fair, unbiased,
treatment of this area, which is often considered a nearly religous
issue, and treated with much fanatacism by some).

So basically, it won't hit OUR web pages, but I am not ruling out
putting a pointer to someone else comparisons, with a suitable note
that, being a 3rd party document, we cannot be held responsible or
accountable for the contents (type of thing. I'm tired at the minute
and can't think of the right way of phrasing this)

Gary