Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 16:31:40 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'fetch' error with http, fix wanted

Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
>I would say that either their TCP or their Web server is busted.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were the web server.  It's common to
want to try to detect clients that have disappeared, and there's a
common (T/TCP-breaking) assumption that if you get a read EOF then
the connection is gone and you should tear it down at the application
level.

The squid cache did this for a while, which is where I first noticed
that T/TCP requests failed.

  Bill