Date:      Fri, 6 Mar 1998 17:40:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
Cc:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org, lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.at, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, julian@whistle.com, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Bob Bishop wrote:
> True. It's also not widely realised that they aren't awfully reliable. They
> fail to start one time in N, regardless of how often you start them. N used
> to be about 15 last time I had anything much to do with them.

They don't have to be this way.

You'll need to do a couple of things though...

1. Install a good block heater that can keep the engine block
   at a temperature between 80 and 120 degrees F.
2. Install an oil heater "".
3. Install an electric oil pump that can provide 20 to 60 PSI of pressure.
   (this should switch on 30 seconds or so before the engine is started.)
   (You should be running synthetic oil right?)
4. Install several oversize oil filters so you don't have too much back
   pressure at the filter.
5. Install a coolant pump that can keep the coolant circulating at about
   5 to 10 psi.  (this should switch on 10 seconds or so before the engine
   is started.)
6. Install a battery bank to power your startup pumps.  (You should
   already have this for your starter unless you have an inertial starter.
   If you have an inertial starter, you should probably have batteries
   for the flywheel moter to spin the flywheel up in a no power
   situation.)
7. Inspect your glo-plugs after every run cycle. Clean or change if
   needed.
8. If you begin a run cycle, run under load for no less than 4 hours.
9. Perform monthly run cycle tests.
10. Check your batteries often.

Keep in mind that those people who claim their gas turbine has faster
switch-over time and never misses a start are probably running their
compressors all the time at 100% RPM and applying fuel and turning on the
igniters when they have a failure.  Switch-over time is pretty damn fast
in those cases. (under a second or two in most cases.)

Anyhow, thats all the ideas I've got off the top of my head...

(One of my long range projects is to build a small generator complex for
my future house.  Primaries run off of natural gas and the secondaries run
off of diesel.  I'm planning on using Nissan inline 4s as they're easy to
work with and fairly cheap.  I figure I can get at least 15kva out of a
pair.  (I've only got 10kva of UPS to feed so this shold be fine.)  Should
be fun.)

/*
   Matthew N. Dodd		| A memory retaining a love you had for life
   winter@jurai.net		| As cruel as it seems nothing ever seems to
   http://www.jurai.net/~winter | go right - FLA M 3.1:53
*/