Date:      Mon, 6 Jul 2020 12:10:08 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Getting a new shell to work for the 'toor' user

All,

I finally got around to -- I thought :) -- completing my inclusion of
bash-static as a usable shell.

It works as an available shell in 'adduser', but when I tried to use it
as a recovery shell (see attached .odt), I ran into a problem. My fist
pass was to add /bin/stbash to the end of the toor line in
master.passwd, but that didn't change it even after a reboot.

Next, I discovered that logging in as toor and issuing:

# chsh -s /bin/stbash, but that didn't work successfully because it
changed my root shell to the static-linked bash as well. I quickly
changed it back!

Two other commands work as expected, and track the issue: 'echo $0' and
'echo $SHELL'

I don't see where SHELL is set, or $0. Are these in one of the rc files?

<whoops> What did I miss?

--
Don Wilde
* What is the Internet of Things but a system      *