Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 22:00:59 -0500
From:      William Guynes <wguynes@mav.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sysinstall won't read drive, even though scsi controller is detected

I'm having a problem with sysinstall being able to detect a drive on
my Adaptec AHA-2940 SCSI controller.  The controller appears to be
detected fine using the generic kernel and, after some Visual mode
trimming, it works fine.

Boot output:

>ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI adapter> port 0xd400-0xd4ff mem
>   0xdf800000-0xdf800ff irq 10 at device 10.0 on pci0
>aic7880: Wife Channel A, SCSI Id=15, 16/255 SCBs

sysinstall begins.  I pick Standard Installation.  The standard
fdisk, "only do this if God himself gives you permission" warning.
And then the error...

>No disks found!  Please verify that your disk controller is being
>properly probed at boot time.  See the Hardware Guid eon the
>Documentation menu for clues on diagnosing this type of problem.

Hardware Guide gives nothing much more than a "user's guide" on
sysinstall Visual mode syntax plus a long list of supported hardware.
I already know that AHA-2940 is supported as "ahc".

As far as I can tell, the controller itself is being detected, even
though it's not one of the listed controllers in Visual selection
mode.  (I find this odd that it's not there).  The only "bogus"
listed items in Visual mode are a bunch of incorrect SCSI controllers
and a lot of NIC cards I don't have.  I just remove all those.  ahc
still gets detected.

Ideas anyone?  I must get the drive to be detected somehow.

Note:
Since this is all pre-fdisk, my Debian installation still resides on
the drive.  And windows was on it long before that.  The hardware is
fine.  Boots.  Drive is read.  Etcetc.  Could be SCSI config issue,
but would have to be something special that is unique to FreeBSD.

--
William Guynes