Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2006 14:06:42 +0200
From:      "Pietro Cerutti" <pietro.cerutti@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   maxusers -> kernel.maxfiles

Hi list,
today my home server stopped responding because of a "kern.maxfiles
limit exceeded" problem.

I noticed that the maxfiles MIB value was set to 1928, which I find
ridiculous even for a small home server ( i386-6.1-RELEASE, mySQL,
Apache, LDAP, Postfix, SSH, SFTP ).

On my laptop, which is running 6.1-STABLE, this defaults to 25000.

Reading [1] I discovered that this value is computed basing on the
value of maxusers, which is supposed to be in the kernel configuration
file.

Since I didn't set the maxusers option in my kernel conf, I was
expecting to find a default value somewhere, and here's where I
miserably fail...

So, could you please tell me:
1) where's the default for it?
2) how is the kern.maxfiles value exactly computed?

Thank you in advance,

--
Pietro Cerutti
ICQ: 117293691