Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 2020 15:16:20 +0100
From:      matthew@FreeBSD.org
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Update 11.3 > 11.4

On 17/06/2020 18:41, Jerry wrote:
> Now, since I am primarily using poudriere, all I need to do is update
> the poudriere jail and then update all the applications on the system.

Not necessarily.  In general packages compiled in an 11.3-RELEASE jail
will work fine on an 11.4-RELEASE machine.  The important exception is
Kernel Loadable Modules, which need to be compiled on the same system
version as where they will be run.

So: if you don't need to build any Kernel modules, then you don't need
to update your poudriere jail.  Since updating the poudriere jail will
force poudriere to rebuild _all_ of the packages from that jail (which
could take quite some time) not upgrading or delaying upgrading can be
quite a useful move.

	Cheers,

	Matthew