Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:28:05 -0800
From:      Matt Reimer <mattjreimer@gmail.com>
To:        "James R. Van Artsdalen" <james-freebsd-fs2@jrv.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Current gptzfsboot limitations

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 3:50 AM, James R. Van Artsdalen
<james-freebsd-fs2@jrv.org> wrote:
> I assume that *zfsboot requires that /boot and /boot/kernel be in the
> boot filesystem and not filesystems of their own.
>
> A man page probably ought to say this or someone will be tempted to "zfs
> create pool/boot/kernel" so they can roll back undesirable kernel installs.

gptzfsboot (and I'm pretty sure zfsboot too) uses the first pool it
finds. It opens the pool, gets the 'bootfs' property (i.e. the one set
with "zpool set bootfs=tank/ROOT tank") and retrieves loader(8) from
that filesystem. You can boot from any filesystem in the pool.

Matt