Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2008 13:55:04 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux gnome libraries etc.

--------------enig8F35CD5CDE3C24504C4C26F8

Roman Divacky wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 02:41:09AM +0300, Boris Samorodov wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 23:47:17 +0100 Roman Divacky wrote:
>>> I tried to run firefox 3 beta 3 under linux emulation and
>>> it crashed because of some missing symbol in pango and I think
>>> its because our linux-pango is really outdated and does not
>>> meet the minimal requirements for firefox3.
>>> why havent these ports been updated?
>> The port won't ever be updated. More likely a new port, say
>> linux-f7-glib2 will appear after the default osrelease is switched
>> to 2.6.x.
>=20
> ah.... good to know.. will there be some sort of "update from fc4 to fc=
7" script?

Have you (the Linux ABI compat developers, not necessarily you directly=20
:) ) considered switching to CentOS as the default/official Linux compat =

environment? It's a RHEL mirror-image and despite RHEL's flaws its *the* =

distribution for complex "enterprise" software (think Oracle, SAP...). I =

can see two benefits from it:

- its popularity from large 3rd party vendors of professional software=20
(apparently Oracle support won't even listen to you if you try using it=20
on anything but the certified distributions/versions). It's widely=20
regarded as a "server" system, much like FreeBSD is.
- it is updated much less often than Fedora (literally years pass before =

major updates) so if timed luckily, new versions of CentOS/RHEL could be =

adopted with major revisions of FreeBSD.