Date:      Mon, 10 May 2010 18:22:22 -0400
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FWIW, a datapoint.

Gary Kline wrote:

> Hopefully no one will face this, but the only way around getting
> past pcbsd seems to be via an over-the-wire upgrade.  The
> 8.0-bootonly.iso for the i386 failed to boot.  About two hours
> ago tho i was able to csup ports from its 07jan to 10may status.
> Next I will pull over the stable-cvsup stuff and see if I can
> fire off a build.   hope this works.  the kybd is hard to use.
> [etc.]

I put a PCBSD install on an unused space on my drive. Back when I did it the
FreeBSD 8.0 version was still in beta, and that is what I installed. The
current state of affairs is now release status with FreeBSD 8.0 P2.

I haven't seen it or used it in a while now. When I installed it I did not
install any of the extra addon software packages, but rather installed the
ports system and proceeded to csup it to current status. I then used the
ports system to install any additional stuff I wanted. Generally speaking it
was a fairly positive experience in that by and large mostly everything
"Just Worked". Seeing the Flash support already installed and functioning in
Firefox was surprising, to say the least.

Since the install comes with KDE 4.3.5 and I want to upgrade it to 4.4.x I
will be giving portupgrade another go around. I had used portupgrade to
successfully update all ports once before and it worked as it normally would
on a regular (non PCBSD) install of Freebsd. FWIW, by not installing
anything (except the base install which includes KDE,etc) using the PCBSD
software installer utilizing the normal methods of installing with the ports
system and maintenance with portupgrade seems to work just as it would on a
normal FreeBSD install.

When I get adventurous I'll see how it does with the KDE 4.4.x upgrade one
of these days. Have been waiting for the dust to settle there. As to why
your bootonly or LiveCD CD's have problems booting, that is probably a
separate issue. But I did notice the PCBSD install is using GPT labeling for
it's partition labels.

-Mike