Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 2010 15:31:53 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Marcin Wisnicki <mwisnicki+freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: gdm-2.30.5_1

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 16:42:11 +0100, Troels Just wrote:

> Greetings maintainers of GNOME on FreeBSD.
>
> I just set up a FreeBSD workstation and I wanted to use GDM + Xfce,
> however when I tried starting GDM, it just beeped when I clicked on my
> user account, and said some quick error (It was on screen for like 1/4
> of a second) that said something like "error initiating ...", I looked
> at the prompt and noticed several errors about the file
> /usr/local/lib/pam_gnome_keyring.so not existing. I looked around and I
> found that I had to install the port security/gnome-keyring as it had
> not been pulled in by the GDM dependencies.

It does depend on keyring in default configuration and disabling keyring
option should work too since then keyring pam module should be commented
out[1].

How did you install gdm and are you sure there were no errors during
installation ?

[1] which is a workaround for a bug in FreeBSD PAM implementation, as it
fails when optional module can't be found.