Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 01:22:02 +0000
From:      Anthony Naggs <tony@ubik.demon.co.uk>
To:        Nikolai Georgiev <nips@softhome.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Lexmark Z12

In article <200202162307.g1GN7YT00855@nips.ebsd.net>, Nikolai Georgiev
<nips@softhome.net> writes
>Is there somebody /smth/ that can make
>my Lexmark Z12 work?

The following is how remember a previous look at this.  I can't get past
a page with lots printer pictures at www.lexmark.com, i.e. to some tech
specs for this model.

This is an example of the printer equivalent of a "winmodem".  The
printer is very stupid and all the work is done by the printer driver,
it will not even print ASCII on its own.

As far as I know Lexmark only have drivers for windows, and they do not
(openly) publish documentation for a clone to be made for BSD.

Linux is also stumped by this cheap & nasty printer, according to:
    http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/incompatible.html

Sorry, unless you can hang this off a win box it is little more than a
doorstop.  You could, as a customer, write to Lexmark and ask them for
help connecting it to FreeBSD.

Tony