Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 09:20:27 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        Sandip Srivastava <ssriva1@gl.umbc.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How do I access DOS partition from FreeBSD?

Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jun 1996, Sandip Srivastava wrote:
>
> > I want to access my DOS partition from FreeBSD, how do I do it?
>
> mount_msdos /dev/wd0f /mnt    replace /dev/wd0f with your DOS partition
>
> Be careful, mount_msdos can destroy DOS partitions in some cases,
> especially if you used FIPS to make room for FreeBSD.

Actually, there are cases where it destroys your _BSD_ partitions...like when
I was first installing FreeBSD and trying to mount my DOS partitions. I gave
up on that, preferring to wait for the msdosfs rewriting work that's in
progress.

If you don't need file system level access, you might checkout the mtools
port that has commands to copy to/from a DOS file system (among other
commands).  So, you could access it without having to mount it and go through
the msdosfs code.

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org