Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 15:06:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      batie@aahz.jf.intel.com (Alan Batie)
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Teletext and intercast

> I have a hard time believing that there
> are technical or legal impedements to the deployment of something
> like intercast outside the US.

Again, I'll disclaim any real knowledge of matters, but I've heard that
the VBI market is getting crowded.  While teletext has the advantage of
being grandfathered, it wouldn't surprise me if new applications for it
had to go through hoops to get space allocated, not to mention typical
bureaucratic stuff (aren't a lot of the overseas tv stations government
run?).  You also have to worry about what other people are doing with
it already (I've heard of at least one instance where they discovered
that the hard way).

--
Alan Batie                     ------        What goes up, must come down.
batie@aahz.jf.intel.com        \    /        Ask any system administrator.