Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 20:05:26 -0500
From:      Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   udp ports

Hi,

i have a small home network and firewall running on my freebsd box.
I have 3 other computers that use it as a gateway to the internet and
file sharing through Samba.

I am tying to block the udp ports 137 and 138 so that I can still use
samba but people on the outside cannot see these ports.

I have tried now for 1 week to do this but no matter how I try when I
have my computer scanned people can see my workgroup and netbios name
and it says that ports 137 and 138 are visible.

I guess I cannot get this syntax of the commands right.

One person suggested this:
ipfw add deny udp 137 from outbound interface to inbound interface
ipfw add deny udp 137 from inbound interface to outbound interface

This did not work.

Can anyone help me or give a suggestion?

Thanks
Rick
--
Rick Knebel