Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:47:44 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@markdrayton.info, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*sh and slow build world in FreeBSD 5.1

At 11:58 AM +0100 10/10/03, freebsd-questions@markdrayton.info wrote:
>1) I can't get /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*sh to work.

I don't have any ideas to offer on this.

>2) Building kernels/worlds is MUCH slower than under 4.X. A kernel
>    used to take around an hour; it's taking about 4 under 5.1
>    (Cyrix 166mhz/64Mb RAM). Is there still a lot of debugging
>    code in 5.1 which could slow things down?

a) I assume you've read /usr/src/UPDATING in your 5.x system,
    which explains some settings that you can look at if you
    are wondering about performance.

b) the 5.x-series uses gcc 3.3.x for its compiler, while
    freebsd-4.x has stayed with gcc 2.94.  gcc 3.3.x is
    definitely much slower at *compiling* code.  If your
    only performance measurement is buildworld and buildkernel,
    then this difference in compile times is the reason
    for most of the slowdown that you're seeing.