Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 1995 20:27:41 -0600
From:      dkelly@iquest.com (David Kelly)
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Incredibly slow ethernet performance.

> I've got a 486/33 running FreeBSD 2.0.5, with a 3Com 3C509 Ethernet card.
> I'm connected to a 10MBit ethernet segment.
>
> I'm getting absolutely pitiful network performance. Ping times to my other
> desktop machine, a Windows NT box, on the same segment, are averaging about
> 1000ms. I can ping a SparcStation on a different segment with roughly the
> same response times. Ping times from my NT box to the Sparc are under 10ms.

I was having the darndest time with an NE2100 dropping packets and other
such nastyness. One day surfing the BIOS setup I got to wandering, "what
does CLK2/8 mean when referencing ISA speed?" It means the ISA bus is being
clocked real slow. Things worked much better at CLK2/3, which might or
might not be 11 MHz on my 486DX33.

Had to replace the NE2100 with an NE2000 clone in order to add an Adaptec
1542CF. Ftp rates dropped from 400k or 600k down to the 200k to 250k range.
Oh well, SCSI is more important.

--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@iquest.com
                -- Thomas Edison