Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 07:51:15 -0700
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WWW_SITE variable

Satoshi sez:
>...  We have been putting homepages in
>pkg/DESCR for years.  I don't see any need in adding yet another knob
>to an already solved problem (which unsolves part of it...for
>instance, how is the package user supposed to see it?).

Although your point is well taken, there is a significant difference
between machine-readable, tagged data (as found in the Makefile or in,
say, an XML or Boulder I/O file) and raw (often chaotic) text.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but a compromise of some sort may be
in order.  Would you be willing to consider a pkg/XML file with a set
of defined tags?

I would simply suggest a more precisely formatted DESCR file, along
the lines of the "0.doc" files I used in "PTF for UNIX", but I don't
see folks being willing to follow rigorous editing standards.  An XML
file, in contrast, is a separate, mechanically-checkable document.  A
script can determine whether it is complete, snytactically correct,
etc.  And, of course, the XML could be frobbed automagically into
other forms, to satisfy particular needs for user access.

-r
--
Rich Morin:          rdm@cfcl.com, +1 650-873-7841, http://www.ptf.com/~rdm
Prime Time Freeware: info@ptf.com, +1 408-433-9662, http://www.ptf.com

From owner-freebsd-ports  Fri Apr  9 14:32:56 1999
From: "Deatherage, David" <DDeatherage@bridge.com>
To: "'Joel Ray Holveck'" <joelh@gnu.org>,
	Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc: Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>,
	current@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: RE: emacs* broken in -current (was Re: Vtable thunks with egcs)
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 10:19:21 -0500
Sender: owner-freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG

I've found where this problem is coming from.  It's in
emacs20.3/src/s/freebsd.h.  It sets a macro called BSD_SYSTEM based upon the
version number contained in __FreeBSD__, checking for 1, 2 and 3.  Of
course, -current uses 4.  I have found that you can check for __FreeBSD__ >=
3, and it will work, but this feels a bit like a hack.  I've never updated a
port, so I can either get some instruction from someone to put in a patch,
or let someone else do it.

David Deatherage