Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:53:54 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD? - committer Issues

At 9:22 AM -0700 7/11/00, David O'Brien wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 03:51:58PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure that there's very little to be gained by
> > importing LPRng into the base system, since:
> >
> > 1) We seem to have an active lpr maintainer again.
>
>I'll believe it when I see him actively _committing_ to it.
>We've had so many people step forward to maintain something
>and then never get around to doing it.

If we are talking about me, which I assume we are, then let me
note that so far I have not been made a committer.  I do not
have an account.  I do not have access to the cvs repository
(or if I do, no one has told me that I do...).  I do have some
pending updates to lpr in PR's.  I would write more if it didn't
seem silly to write more when the current ones are not being
committed.  I have been sending patches to freebsd's lpr over
the past year or two, including cases where I have reviewed
PR's that SOMEONE ELSE has sent in, and I wrote (or rewrote) a
patch to address THAT freebsd user's question.

Also note that I did specifically ask Warner to wait a bit on
pushing the commit track for me, just because I have been tied
up for the last few weeks with some paperwork that the IRS
expects me to send them.  Something about the letters 'IRS'
still takes higher priority than the letters 'lpd'...   :-)

In any case, those IRS forms were mailed off around noon today.
I do have a few more forms to fill out, but nothing that is
likely to give me a ulcer, so as of right now I could start
learning more about what I need to do to be a committer.  I
do not expect to be blazing my name in the sky right away,
but I'm willing to see what I can do.

Note that I *am* actively working on updates to RPI's lpr/lpd
right now, some of which have to be working before the start
of this fall semester.  For the moment, lpd and lpr are pretty
much my full-time work.  I can either leave those updates in
RPI's lpr/lpd (which is what I have been doing for the last
five years -- check back on a message I sent to arch about a
month or two ago), or I could fold those back into freebsd's
lpr.  It makes little difference to me.

Also note that I'm not going to sit here and say nasty things
about lprNG just because I am willing to be a committer for
the current lpr.  Patrick has done a lot of work with lprNG,
and if people would rather have Patrick supporting freebsd's
lpr (by importing lprNG to be the one and only lpr), then I
will not feel insulted at all.  I also will not be looking to
be a committer, because I have no real experience with lprNG's
internals.  If you are going to go with lprNG, then you really
ought to have the real author supporting it.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute