Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 17:45:51 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Additional option to ls -l for large files

At 4:51 PM -0500 1/12/00, Garrett Wollman wrote:
><<On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> said:
>
> > In 'ls' we are not talking about a block count, we are talking about
> > a byte-count.
>
>ls -s

Hmm, valid point.  'ls -l' is not using a block count though, and so
all of my previous comments still make sense for 'ls -l' and the new
option.  'ls -s' and the new option should follow a block count, but
then 'ls -s' is showing a block count for ALL files that it lists.
The examples I gave in my previous message don't end up as confusing
for 'ls -s' as they do for 'ls -l'.  Maybe the new option should not
even apply to 'ls -s'?  I have no preference for 'ls -s' behavior.

In any case, I'm still saying that in practice, people will find it
less confusing if 'ls -l' used 1000 as the divisor, not 1024.  Or at
least, I found it less confusing, when I have done this same thing.
Yes, it may be "more pure" to use 1024 when comparing 'ls' listings
to block counts, but it is less confusing WITHIN a single 'ls -l'
listing if all the numbers are decimal, and not some combination of
base-10 and base-2.  'ls -l' listings (without the -s...) are already
a problem when comparing to 'du' or 'df' listings.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute