Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 23:26:01 -0500
From:      Steve Leibel <stevel@bluetuna.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware Question

At 10:09 PM -0500 1/25/01, Lonnie wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am currently running Linux Mandrake 7.1 and have become disappointed
>with the performance of Linux on my system.  It appears to be somewhat
>sluggish at times and slow to respond to various web/ftp queries.
>
>We are developing an Internet application, and from what information
>that I can find, FreeBSD was built to handle large user loads and is
>supposed to be more stable than Linux which is what we are looking for.
>
>One of our test machines is an Intel Pentium 500Mhz with 128-Meg ram,
>16Meg 3dfx VooDoo3  AGP video card, 27.3 GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive, with a
>Ultra ATA 66 controller.
>
>What I am wondering before I decide to switch over the FreeBSD from my
>current Linux, is if FreeBSD will run on this machine setup.  There
>appears to be a problem with the new versions of Mandrake 7.2 supporting
>this setup and to make things run would require much modifications
>before it could get installed.
>
>I would also presume that we could still do our standard web
>developments using FreeBSD as it should have similiar c++ library
>headers as Linux GCC and I am also guessing that MySQL can be installed
>as well?

Your development environment will be the same re C++, gcc, perl, tcl,
and all other open source Unix utilities.  Your source code should
compile on either platform with no conversion problems.  Mysql runs
perfectly well on FreeBSD although for a large production application
I would recommend Postgres.