Date:      08 Oct 1998 23:47:51 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling C. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        Jin Guojun (FTG staff) <jin@george.lbl.gov>
Cc:        bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-BETA bugs (multiple in installation and config)

Jin Guojun (FTG staff) <jin@george.lbl.gov> writes:
> So, problem is that the installation does not install /etc/aliases.db
> in the first place.

It normally does, but as you pointed out it segfaulted before
completion.

>                     The second is that send-pr should not spit out such
> wrong message to confuse people.
>
> If send-pr can send without /etc/aliases.db, then eliminate such error
> report, just say: "/etc/aliases.db does not exit, but report is sent anyway."

send-pr(1) doesn't know what happened. The error message you got was from
sendmail(8), which send-pr(1) invoked to mail the problem report.

Arguably, sendmail(8) shouldn't have returned a non-zero exit status
since it succeeded in sending the problem report. This is a whole
other kettle of fish and I'd hesitate to do anything about it as a lot
of software depends on assumptions about how sendmail(8) behaves
when/if an error occurs, which fixing this apparent bug might actually
break.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - dag-erli@ifi.uio.no