Date:      21 Sep 1998 20:40:00 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling C. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network Computers

Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com> writes:
> > Umm, exactly how long did you say you've you been using Unix? I can
> > think of a bunch of different ways to achieve that with plain ol' Unix
> > workstations. Slap KDE on top and you're on your way.
> Then you are remarkably ignorant and have never actually tried it.

The first part of that sentence is open to debate. The second is
mostly correct.

> Automated upgrades are *hard*. And no unix at this point is set up
> for them to be done.

Yes, it's hard. No, no currently available Unix is set up to do them.
But I don't think it's impossible, especially if you're working under
the assumption that the user isn't allowed to touch anything. 'make
world' can be construed as a small step in the direction of automated
upgrades...

A halfway solution might be a workstation connected to application and
data servers, where applications and shared (non-user-modifiable) data
are cached locally. Every time you request a remote file, the system
queries the server for an MD5 or similar checksum and compares it to a
locally stored checksum of the cached copy. (this almost sounds like
Coda FS...)

In any case, I don't see the point of an NC as a separate platform. As
far as I am aware, everything an NC is supposed to do can be
implemented in software on existing platforms using existing operating
systems (possibly with hacked kernels). The pretty blue (or black, or
whatever) box and the cool name are just marketing fads. "FreeBSD
workstation running custom software for automatic upgrades" doesn't
sound as cool in a TV ad as "International Gizmos, Inc.'s hot new
Network Computer"

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - dag-erli@ifi.uio.no