Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 1995 11:30:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      nwestfal@indigo.csci.csusb.edu (Neal Westfall)
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Promise EIDE 2300 Plus

Has anyone gotten the Promise EIDE 2300 Plus controller to work
with FreeBSD?  This is a VLB controller with 16550 serial ports
which has been highly recommended.  I picked one of these up
at the computer show in Pomona this last weekend along with a
Western Digital 1.2 GB Caviar AC31000 hard drive.

The controller works fine with dos, but refuses to boot the
FreeBSD partition.  I can use my old ISA controller with this
drive just fine.  The controller also wouldn't boot the FreeBSD
partition on my old Conner 540 MB drive.  I noticed that when
using this controller, the conventional memory available is
reduced by about 3K, (i.e. 637K as opposed to 640K).  If it is
not possible to use this controller with FreeBSD, can anyone
recommend a good VLB EIDE controller with I/O ports that does
work?

--
#  $Id: dot.signature,v 1.1 1995/02/11 02:28:11 nwestfal Exp $

Neal Westfall                            nwestfal@csci.csusb.edu
FreeBSD 2.1.0-Development #0: Fri Feb 10 23:31:36  1995
   root@darkside.csci.csusb.edu:/usr/src/sys/compile/DARKSIDE
CPU: i486DX (486-class CPU)  Id = 0x435  Origin = "GenuineIntel"