Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 1996 07:58:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freebsd.org>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org, joerg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-current Proxy Server in our company (vs. Sun)

	is the FreeBSD box a firewall or just an application server?
will it control access or provide logins to the users?   if its a
firewall, you need to rethink your design.

	either way a 3C509 MAY not be good enough.  the driver in 1.1.5.1
lost interrupts occasionally.  i dont know if this has been fixed or not.
> And now ... The disk configuration ...
> Imagine ... the machine also will act as a News Server
> in the company for about 10 concurrent people.
> So basically I would tend to put Operating system,
> News Server and WWW server onto 3 different disks.
>
> I'd like to get three 2GB Wide SCSI disks, but I think
> this would be overkill. And would cost *too much*.
>
> What would be better ... generally ...
> To buy 3 or 4  1GB Harddisks at 5400rpm to distribute
> the SCSI workload onto 3 or four different disks
> (those drives are sooo inexpensive now ...)

	for a news server, the more disks the better.   split the
history, index, spool areas up.   this was covered recently in
freebsd-isp, you may want to check the mail archives via www.freebsd.org.

Jonathan M. Bresler        FreeBSD Postmaster         jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
play go. ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life
i am moving to a new job.                 PLEASE USE: jmb@FreeBSD.ORG