Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 1996 04:11:04 +0000
From:      Jason Lixfeld <carrera@idirect.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Setting up caching name service. (Re: rc file discrepency)]

When I boot up my system.. I get a couple of errors that I'm hoping
someone can help me
resolve.  First error:
;;;/etc/rc - system bootup
Starting netowrk daemons: named         syslogd: bind: Can't assign
requested address
named[61]: Starting     named LOCAL-960717.011537 ;;;I assume this means
it successfully started named
named[61]: bind(vs,[0,0,0,0].53): Can't assign requested address
;;;
I assume from that, there is a problem with bind.  my /etc/host.conf is
as folloes

# $Id: host.conf,v 1.2 1993/11/07 01:02:57 wollman Exp $
# Default is to use the nameserver first
# bind
hosts
# If that doesn't work, then try the /etc/hosts file
# hosts
bind
# If you have YP/NIS configured, uncomment the next line
# nis

/etc/sysconfig line for named is:

# Set to appropriate flags for named, if you have a full-time
# connection to the Internet.
# For most hosts, flags should be "-b /etc/namedb/named.boot"
# namedflags="NO"
namedflags="-b /etc/namedb/named.boot"

The only thing I have in /etc/hosts is:
127.0.0.1		localhost.idirect.com localhost

What I am trying to do, is to have my computer, karma.idirect.com setup
as localhost.  Should I have karma.idirect.com in place if
localhost.idirect.com?!  Because, as it is now, when I telnet localhost,
it shoots me over to the dialup machoine at idirect.com that I connected
to.

I'm not sure what could be causing this problem.  Keep in mind that it
is a dialup dynamic IP from my ISP.

Thanks in advance!

Jason Lixfeld