Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 1996 23:08:44 -0600
From:      jon@ctasim.com (Jon Doran)
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Comments on sup on top of 2.2-960801-SNAP

Hi,

I recently installed the smp files on top of 2.2-960801-SNAP and have
a few questions...

Things are not in as good of shape as with the SNAP alone :-)  I'm new
to this list and am not sure which problems are known and which are not,
so if you'll bear with me a moment I'll list some.

The biggest change I notice is that networking is broken.  I have a 3C509
installed (I have a 3C595 also , but let's play with the older driver first)
and the probe is successful.  The 509 uses ep0, so I removed ie0 et. al. so
there wouldn't be other probe events btw.  After the probe, the ifconfig
fails saying "ep0: no such device" or something similar.  Syslogd will not
start, and its hard to get an exact record of something scrolling up the
screen.

Ifconfig also has the same problem with the loopback device.  This is not
restricted to the 3C509.

Is this something I screwed up, or is this a real problem?  This was my
first attempt at using sup and the SMP code, and I'd like some sense of
where to look.

Another, more cosmetic comment:  perhaps the idle processes shouldn't be
included in the load-average calculations.  I saw the load average at 3 and
went looking for the culpret.  Everything was asleep, except for ps and
the idle processes.

Jon

Jon Doran
CTA Simulation Systems, LLC