Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 01:32:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hubs@freebsd.org
Cc:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Local translations of www.freebsd.org

This is just a quick note concerning sites like www.ar.freebsd.org which
maintain localized versions of the home page.  Having local language versions
is certainly a good thing and I'm very happy to see it, I'm simply wondering
if:

	A) It's better to try and somehow merge these back into the master
	   sources so that anyone with a CVS repository could do something
	   like:

		cvs co -P www
		cd www/data
		make LANG=ja_JP.EUC

	   or whatever interface makes the most sense (maybe they go to
	   www/data/ja_JP.EUC instead - I'm not Mr. I18N here :-) for
	   making the Japanese copy of www.freebsd.org.

	   Then www.jp.freebsd.org simply builds its own pages from source
	   instead of mirroring www.freebsd.org and everybody's happy.

	B) Simply syncing this by hand whenever significant changes occur
	   rather than building a mechanism for it.  This appears to be
	   the system in place now. :-)

If we choose (A) then John Fieber is certainly going to need to tell us
how to do it since he's the web god around here.  If we choose (B) then
I guess this is a "heads up!" to all regional www maintainers that
the FreeBSD home page has changed significantly and the translation crews
should start considering another revision of their local copies. :)

Thanks..

					Jordan