Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 1998 12:19:43 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tricky handbook link

On Fri, Jul 17, 1998 at 08:23:06PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> The latest docbook DTD also makes implicit labels for section headings
> and such now, so you get "free" labels without having to declare all
> of them explicitly.

Not quite.

As it currently stands, the DSSSL stylesheet for DocBook that we're
currently using will break the documentation into different HTML files for
chapters, sections and so on.

By default, it uses a numbering scheme, so sect01.html, sect02.html, and
so on.

If your sections, chapters and so forth include the 'id' attribute like so

    <sect1 id="nutshell">
      <title>FreeBSD in a Nutshell</title>

    </sect1>

then the stylesheet will instead name this file "nutshell.html", *if* you
customise the stylesheet and add the lines

    (define %use-id-as-filename%
        ;; Use ID attributes as name for component HTML files?
        #t)

I've done this to the current doc/sgml/freebsd.dsl file, which is why the
current snapshot of the DocBook Handbook at

    <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/%7enik/handbook/>;

has files like "bibliography01.html", "bibliography02.html" and so on.

Note that chapters, sections and so on that do not have an ID attribute are
named with a numbering scheme, hence the existance of "c09.html", "c12.html"
and so on.

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?