Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 1998 07:16:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        jack@germanium.xtalwind.net
Cc:        <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Kevin A. Carman" <kcarman@inetone.net>
Subject:   Re: INN Support for FreeBSD

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:

>On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Kevin A. Carman wrote:

[stuff about INN and news snipped]

>> 5).  Does FreeBSD support RAID level 5 using 3 - 8.4Gig IDE/EIDE
>> Hard Drives?

>Look at ccd(4)

A few things to note:

1.  ccd supports (AFAIK) RAID 0 (software striping), not RAID 5
(fault-tolerant mirroring).  This is actually ok for news, because
RAID 5 isn't as fast as RAID 0.  You probably want RAID 0 for news,
whatever you use.

2.  I would not recommand using IDE drives for news.  While there has
been a fair amount of "hey, IDE is good enough for most people" talk
lately (my next (cheap) box will probably be IDE), I think news
servers are still a place where SCSI is much better than IDE.  You
might want to search for Joe Greco's posts about sol.net's news
servers (search on the www.freebsd.org search engine): he's running a
top-10 news server or two with FreeBSD, and he has discussed hardware
for both INN and Diablo.

--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/