Date:      Sun, 26 Apr 1998 18:31:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Handy <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Modem+Ethernet?

Hey Folks,

I've got a guy running a TP560 with a NE2000 compatible card and a...uh...
a modem of some kind.  (Whoever the outfit USR bought is.)  My guy would
like to be able to keep both PCCARDS stuffed in his PC all the time.

The problem we have is, when he inserts the ethernet card it slaps down a
default route in his routing tables.  Then, when he goes to use the modem
and PPP, PPP connects -- but -- his routing tables are all screwed up.

I verified this, I had him 'route delete default' and sure enough, then
the modem worked.  It would be neat if there was some script I could kick
off to do this for him.  I've tried to get PPP to clean up the routing
tables before connecting, but I've never had luck...I probably don't
understand something.  Anyway, that's probably something I could puzzle
out given enough effort.  Problem is, how do I set that route back up when
PPP is done?  I'm using "ppp -background" to do this, then in the window
manager I've got a few buttons so when he wants to hang up it just sends a
'kill -2' to the appropriate PID.

Does anybody leave their pccards in all the time?  I've always pulled the
one I'm not using.  I'd like to find a method of simplest approach here so
he can just click on buttons in his window manager, rather than rooting
through the routing tables deleting stuff that's causing trouble.  I'm
curious how other people handle this.

Thanks,

Brian