Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 19:08:37 +0800
From:      Joubert Uriarte <juriarte@asiansources.com>
To:        Alexandre Kovalenko <akovalenko@mindspring.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Samba on FreeBSD

Alexandre Kovalenko wrote:

> Hi, there
>
> I can try to help you with your problem, but I would need couple more
> pieces of information:
> -- what kind of Windows machines you're trying to work with

Windows 95 and Windows NT

> -- since you're starting Samba daemons standalone, did you check
>    that inetd is not trying to start them for you (lines with 'netbios-ns'
>    and 'netbios-ssn' should be commented out in /etc/inetd.conf).

Yes. I have.  inetd does not start them for me.  I tried that configuration
before -- it also didn't work.

> -- what do samba logs say anyway.

I haven't checked... how do I check this?

> -- are netmasks the same for Windows and FreeBSD machines (and do you
>    by any chance use custom broadcast on FreeBSD). Basically, what
>    ifconfig says on FreeBSD machine and what ipconfig says on Windows.

Yes, all the netmasks are the same.

Anyway, thank you very much... I upgraded my samba to the ver.2.0 Beta 2.  It
works fine now, but I would have wanted to know what was wrong before.

Thank you.

Joubert